Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Book Review: The Star-Touched Queen

The Star-Touched Queen
Roshani Chokshi
St. Martin's Griffin, 2016
Genre: Fantasy, YA, Romance
Source: Purchased
Rating: 1.5 out of 5


Maya has been cursed with a horoscope promising death and destruction in her future marriage, almost promises that she'll live out her life as she pleases, without being married off to help her father's kingdom.  But then she's told that she will choose her future husband in a ceremony and that the choice she makes will determine how her kingdom will survive.  She chooses Amar.  He takes her into his kingdom, a magical place with portals to other lands and secret doors locked to her until the moon has completed it's phase.  Maya is almost certain that behind those doors are truths that she should know and she questions her choice to follow Amar.  As she unravels her past and the past lives before that, Maya begins to understand that there is much more to this world and her place within it.

I loved the description of this book and it really is what pulled me in, but this book wasn't what I expected.  I got lost quite a lot in the flowery descriptions which really put me out of the story.  In the first chapters she's in her father's kingdom and dealing with the other women in the harem who have ostracized her based on her horoscope.  This part felt real to me.  There was still some mysticism with a mysterious visitor.  I even went along when Maya and Amar travel to another realm, but then nothing seemed concrete at that point.  I couldn't find anything in which to ground myself.  There is so much flowery language coupled with the strange mysticism and unknown that it was just too much.

Although I did finish, I was really waiting for it make more sense.  I had a difficult time with this one.

If you like this review, please consider following me!

No comments:

Post a Comment