Thursday, June 4, 2015

Top Ten Books I'm Excited about Reading This Summer


As you might know, I have 53 (yes that is fifty three) books on my summer to read list (it's actually 54, but I read one of them last week).  That's a lot.  I plan on reading as many of those as possible, but here are my top ten that I'm looking forward to reading and will be certain to finish, if nothing else. 

10) All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

I've heard a lot about this book and I'm really interested in reading it.  I've had a few people recommend it to me and I was excited to tell them that it's already on my list.  



9) Conversion by Katherine Howe

Girls suddenly becoming overwhelmed with tics and other maladies for no reason.  Connections to the Salem Witch Trials.  Sounds great!




8) I Was A Teenage Ghost Hunter by Brian K. Henry

I just recently heard about this book, and it sounds fun.  I keep seeing it and now I keep wondering about it.  So I will definitely read it this summer.



7) Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage

I read Three Times Lucky last summer and loved it!  It was funny, mysterious, and had great characters to boot.  I'm excited to read about this next installment about Moses LeBeau and her friends in Tupelo.  It's bound to be fun.


6) The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

I know this is a few years old, and it's been on my radar for awhile, but I've finally decided that it's going to get read.  It sounds intriguing.  Orphans are chosen to compete to be the king's impersonator.  Fail the competition and you die.  Plus, there are many things brewing in the kingdom that sound like they'll bring in some adventure.  


5) Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin

I love reading about kids who are different from others.  I also love introducing those characters to my students because they can see that those differences are really that great.  We're more alike than you think.  Rose is a girl with Asperger's who love homonyms and when her dog Rain goes missing, she has to to go out and find him.


4) Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller

A little girl is taken by her father out into the woods to live.  Years later she returns, to civilization and her mother.  This sounds incredibly interesting and I'm just imagining what would go through a little girl's head and how she would deal with this situation.  How anyone would deal with this situation if they had been told the rest of humanity had died and then found out it was a lie.  I've also been hearing good things about this book that just came out in March.


3) Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo

I originally put this on my TBR because of the cover.  I didn't know anything about it, but with a cover that great, how could I resist?  When I read the description, I was pleasantly surprised that it could stay on my list.  Another fantasy trilogy, set in the middle of a war with a monster filled darkness, in which the character may be the only hope for survival.



2) The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

When I first read this I shrugged and said sure that sound great and put it on my TBR list.  Done.  And, like many of these other books, I saw someone mention it on twitter or Facebook and I went back to read the description.  Hmm that does sound really really good.  Then there were reviews and my excitement grew even more until here I am...anxious to get to this book in my Summer Reading List.  It may have to be pushed up a few.

1) Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee


Is there anyone out there who isn't excited about this?  I'm also going to try and get in another reading

of To Kill A Mockingbird, but I'm not sure how I will make that happen, because I've already pre-ordered Go Set a Watchman and when it gets here, I'm going to want to read it.  Immediately if at all possible.  July 14th is the release date and although I'm excited, I'm also a little wary.  What if it just isn't enough?  I mean there's a reason her publisher wanted To Kill A Mockingbird and not this one, but I'm still going to all over this and I can't wait to talk about it!

Those are my top ten for this summer!  Any books you're itching to read immediately?





2 comments:

  1. I really liked Shadow & Bone when I read it in the autumn - I'm keeping my eye out for the sequels.
    My Dad bought 'All The Light We Cannot See' just the other day & I'm going to borrow it later this summer. I don't think I've seen any reviews for it but it sounds really interesting, and it won the Pulitzer prize this year I see, so I'm hoping it's good!

    ~Ailsa @ The Book Bundle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm hoping to get to one or both of these by the end of June. I need to read more children's novels for my classes, but there are SO many older YA and adult novels that I want to read too!

      Delete