Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Book Review: The Runaway King

The Runaway King (Ascendance Trilogy #2)
Jennifer A. Nielsen
Scholastic Press, 2013
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3.5 out 5 stars

In the second book of the Ascendance Trilogy, The Runaway King, Prince Jaron has claimed the throne of Carthya and now he must begin acting like the King.  He knew that it would be difficult, but he has no idea who to trust.  The princess he is to marry is overly friendly with the captain of his guard, whom Jaron doesn't trust. Most of his regents are plotting to overturn him.  To top it all off, his life has been threatened by pirates--the same pirates that sunk the ship Jaron had supposedly drowned in years ago.  Using the only move he has left, Jaron slips back into the familiar life of Sage and tracks down the pirates.  The only way to save his country and himself is meet them head-on, and he must do it alone.

I was really looking forward to reading the second book in the Ascendance Trilogy.  After reading The False Prince, I was excited to see how Jaron would handle being King when he is so used to his freedom and the ability to be whomever he wants.  I was a little disappointed, though.  This story moved rather slowly.  After he finds the pirates, it just drags.  You would think that finding yourself amongst pirates and thieves would make the story more exciting, but it doesn't.  It did eventually pick up, but I can't tell you why or it would give it away.  So I was happy that things got moving again.  There was just this one section where I didn't care about whether or not Sage/Jaron would accomplish his goal and if he would even live through it all.

Jaron's character is just as aggravating in this book as he is in the first.  He ticks people off on purpose and pushes them away, but it somehow makes you like him more.  Although I just wanted him to suck it up and go talk to Amarinda, but, because he thinks she's swooning over her captain of the guards, he refuses to do so.

I missed Mott.  He has a place in this novel, but not as much as the first one.  I just felt like Jaron needed a father figure, an older brother figure, someone to help guide him.  I wanted Mott to be that, but of course Jaron pushes him away too!

Overall, I'm glad I read The Runaway King and I will be finishing the trilogy.  It's fun and despite the lull in the middle, it picked up again and got me interested in the last novel.  I'm worried about everyone now.  I need to make sure it's all okay.

Image Source: Goodreads


If you liked this review, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, and please "like" this review below!


No comments:

Post a Comment