Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday Status: The Water Knife and Pieces of Why



Sunday Status is a weekly (ish) post where I let you know what I'm reading and what I'm thinking about it as I go along.

It's been a month!  I've been out of commission for the past month or so as I struggled to get ahead of my school work and back on track.  I'm still not there, but I'm getting there.  So I have a couple of reviews that I need to write as I start to get back into my reading and writing routine.  



The Water Knife
by Paolo Bacigalupi
Publisher: Knopf, 2015
Source: purchased

I've been waiting to read this and started it a few weeks ago, but have had a difficult time really motivating myself to read much of anything, much less something so heavy.  However, I'm finally getting into it and it's terrifying.  Set in a future where water is like gold and the southwestern states are basically in war with one another over the rights to what water there is, I've met three characters who are all tied to this water war in their own way.  

I love post-apocalyptic books, but I'm afraid that this is just way too real!  I will finish it, but I'm terrified of what I will find when it's over.  I'm hoping that there will be some bit of hope at the end, but I'm not so sure that will happen and I'm only about 50 pages into a 400 page book!  




Pieces of Why
by K.L. Going
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books, 2015
Source: student suggested

A student of mine wrote about this book in her responses recently and I responded that I was curious about the book and she let me borrow it.  So far I'm finding it really interesting as we following Tia who has just learned the truth about her father's incarceration, and she's reeling from it.  With her best friend by her side, though, she might be able to work her way through all these emotions and find out the real truth.





If you liked this review, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, and please "like" this review below!

No comments:

Post a Comment