Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Top Ten...Reasons to Stay Up Late and Read


As a night owl, I find myself staying up late to read.  And then I find myself struggling to crawl out from under the covers when the alarm rings.  But I have my reasons.  And here they are!


  1. I’m wide awake!
Usually by the time we get our toddler to bed, I’m winding down.  Then I start picking up, grading, doing laundry, getting things together for the next day and I’m way wide awake.  Like, I’ll never go to sleep again awake.  So reading a book helps me wind down...sometimes.  Sometimes it just revs me up more!  (See #5)


  1. Being a Night Owl is a Sign of Intelligence
    Apparently there have been studies that show a correlation between being a night owl and intelligence.  Check out this article that covers a couple of those studies.  I’m not sure if I completely agree with this since I know a lot of people who stay up super late and they don’t exactly show a lot of intelligence.  I also know a few very intelligent people who follow the idea of “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.”  
  2. It’s a great time to get things done online.
    When my daughter is awake, there is very little time to work online.  We try to keep her off the computer and tablet and we’ve done a great job with that so far.  We probably give her too much TV time, but we’ve managed to keep that at a minimum too.  However, if she sees us on the computer, tablet, or phone, she wants on it too.  
  3. There are no appointments, work, errands waiting for me.
    Guess what!  I don’t have to keep looking at the clock every 2 sentences to make sure time hasn’t suddenly sped forward and left me running late for life.  It’s night.  I’m not going anywhere.  Sure I need to get to bed eventually, but within the next 30 minutes?  Nope!  No count down for me!
  4. Because sometimes there is nothing but finishing that book. Sometimes it just has to happen.  As. Soon. As. Possible.
  5. If your kids sleep through the night, then this is your time!
    My daughter has been sleeping through the night for about a year now.  We have our moments now and then, but for the most part, I know that when she’s down, she’s down.  Now it’s our time.   **If your kids don't sleep through the night, I'm really sorry. I've been there. One day it will happen.
  6. There’s something about cuddling into your reading spot with night all around you except for your little circle of light.
    I don’t know what it is, but you can just curl into your little spot with your book.  There is darkness all around and just the glow around you.  It’s a bit romantic.  It’s cozy.  
  7. Your dreams will be full of your books.
    Okay, so this doesn’t often happen, but it does sometimes.  I’ll wake up in the morning and have this odd memory about my book, about the characters and I have to piece together what I read and what I dreamt at first.  I love this though.  I love when ideas and characters permeate my mind this way.  
  8. I don’t have to worry about getting anything else done.  
    This kind of matches up with #4, but I’m thinking more about it being the end of the night.  I’ve finished it all (or in reality everything I was capable of finishing) and now it’s time to think about myself a little.  Reading at night is my reward for completing the day successfully-ish.  OR it’s my comfort at the end of the day when it’s all done and I just need a chance to breathe.
  9. No one else is awake (usually). I love my little family, I do.  I also love my alone time.  I am a loner.  I always have been.  In high school and college I would come home some days and just wish that I could have a full day where I didn't have to talk to anyone else, where I could just be alone.  I still have that desire some days, but not as much because I try to take my alone time every night after everyone else in bed.  That’s my alone time.

Are you a Night Owl, or and Early Riser? When do you manage to get your reading in?

No comments:

Post a Comment