Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sunday Status: An Ember in the Ashes

Sunday Status is a look at my current read. I share one line from the page I'm currently reading and what I'm thinking about the book so far.

First, let me say that I know I've been absent as of late. The last two weeks of school added with my daughter's birthday made it a little difficult to do much else than get by. So here we are, all caught up and with the summer ahead of us!

An Ember in the Ashes 
by Sabaa Tahir
Publisher: Razorbill, 2015
Source: Bought 

"'Everyone wants out of here, girl.  I want out. Izzi wants out.  Even the damn students want out (293).'"

Laia is a slave, working for the Resistance in exchange for help in rescuing her brother from Blackcliff.  She must spy on the school's Commandant, which is not an easy feat.  Meawhile we also hear from Elias, the top student at the school who has been pulled into the Trials to see who will become the new Emperor.  He too must survive the Commandant's evilness in order to stay alive during the Trials.

So far this book is great.  I am enjoying the suspense as Laia, who isn't exactly the bravest or sneakiest, or the most cunning.  She is the opposite of what you would expect from a spy, but she's surviving and has not been caught...yet. 

Elias...I don't really care about one way or another really.  I feel like I should want him to win, because he's projected as a good guy.  He wants to be free of the Empire, but will he actually stand up and do anything?  Plus he's got his best friend Helene who is really acting weird lately and he needs to stay on her good side, but really he just needs to suck it up and tell her the truth.  I have hope that Helene is a good person too.


**Also, a note about my last Sunday Status:  I had to abandon the book.  It seems like a good read for a high school student, but it couldn't keep my interest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment