Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Book Review: Fairest

Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles 3.5)
Marissa Meyer
Feiwel & Friends, 2015
Source: borrowed from a friend
Rating: 4 out of 5

We've heard from Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress in their battle against Queen Levana and her desire to rule Earth.  Now we hear from Queen Levana's side.  We find out how she became the evil queen of Luna...and it isn't pretty.

I waited to read this.  I finished Cress earlier this year, but waited until now to read Fairest.  I wanted to have something to entice me a little more as I wait for Winter's release in November (November 10th to be exact and yes, I've already ordered and it will be shipped to school so I can start reading as soon as possible).

I'm not really a huge fan of villains.  I know some people love the villains in stories, but that's not often me.  However I do always try to see the reason behind a villain's evilness, because I like to think that in everyone there is something good--even villains.  I had hoped that Fairest would provide this form me so that I could find something that would make Levana likeable.  I had hoped.

How evil is this woman?  I kept waiting for her redeeming quality, or one redeeming act of kindness--but it never happens.  That's just a warning to those of you who are expecting this.  You won't get it.

Could I put it down?  No.  I needed to know what she would do, and although I was waiting for her do something good, something kind, something right in her life, I knew it wouldn't happen.  I cannot like her at all.  I cannot feel sorry for her one little bit.  And I cannot wait to see how she will (I hope) be defeated by Cinder.  Maybe she won't--but Marissa Meyer won't do that to me, will she?  The anxiety settles in now as we wait to find out what happens in Winter.

Image source: Goodreads

If you liked this review, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, and please "like" this review below!



No comments:

Post a Comment