Sunday, September 27, 2015

Double Sunday Status: The Hired Girl and Circus Mirandus

Sunday Status is a weekly (ish) post where I let you know what I'm reading.  I'll usually share a quote from the page I'm currently on and let you know how it's going. 



The Hired Girl
Laura Amy Schlitz
Candlewick Press, 2015
Source: e-galley from Netgalley

Tonight's quote is about 60 pages ago, but I found it last night and highlighted it because I liked it so much.

"...and I sometimes wonder if every living thing doesn't need kind words as much as sunshine and water (142)."

Set in 1911, Joan's father has taken the fourteen year old girl out of school and burned her books so that she will work harder on the farm for him.  Joan has other ideas, though, and runs away to become a hired girl in Baltimore.  She's pretty clueless about the world, but has good intentions, despite her many mistakes as a parlor maid in the Rosenbach's house.  Told in the form of a diary, Joan chronicles her struggles to better herself in a world she is just beginning to understand.

I'm enjoying this, although it is rather long.  The first 50-60 pages were tiresome, but I think they are also that way for Joan as she's stuck at home, wishing to be somewhere else and to have the opportunity to learn and read.  It's only when she strikes out on her own that it gets a little more interesting.  I do wish it would pick up even more, though.  I still have 200 pages to go!



Circus Mirandus 
Cassie Beasley
Dial Books, 2015
Source: purchased

Circus Mirandus reminds a bit of Harry Potter.  Young Micah has grown up with his grandpa, hearing tales of Circus Mirandus, but now his grandpa is very very sick.  His Great Aunt Gertrudis has come to stay and help out until....well until it's over.  She is very unlike her brother and believes all the stories about Circus Mirandus aren't good for either Micah or his grandpa and she is determined to limit their time together to help everyone out.  She reminds me of the Dursleys in Harry Potter, and the threat of having to go live with her hangs over Micah's head, as Harry had to keep returning to his aunt and uncle's house.

So far this is great!  I wish I could have spent more time reading it, but the last few days at school have been crazy and I'm thinking that things won't get too much better. :)  I like Micah and I like the magical elements that are just starting to come together into something solid at this point in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment