Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Reflections on a Year of Blogging: What I've Learned


It's a celebration of my 1st year blogging.  This week I'll be posting some reflections and a look back at my first year on this trek.


It's time to reflect.  Reflecting is a great way to see where we've been , how we've done, and what we've learned, but also to contemplate where we need to go and how to get there.

~How I Got Here~
I honestly don't know what made me want to sit down and start a blog.  Actually, I started this blog back in the summer of 2014, intending to share it with my students--but only if I was able to keep it going.  I was not able to do that--at all.  I also wasn't too dedicated to doing so.  It was simply one more thing I HAD to do.

Then last year in January I went back to school to get my administrator's certification.  Long story short, after taking one class I decided that it was not the right choice for me to pursue that avenue.  However I felt a little bit lost.  I felt like I needed to do something.  The first thing I did was read a book that I enjoyed (I had read one book in two months because I was reading for class and writing papers and there wasn't any time).  

couldn't keep it to myself and decided that I would just post that review on my blog--that one I randomly happened to have--and be done with it.  But I remembered how much I enjoyed writing essays and papers about books and so I wrote two more reviews and posted them a few weeks later.  Then I jumped right in.

I think I needed something to help me feel grounded. Not only had I felt disconnected from reading at the time, I felt a little disconnected from myself.  I've found that when I start to feel this way, if I can get myself into a really good book, I can find my way out of that feeling a little better.


~Where I've Been~
I tried a lot of different things at first.  I posted weekly what I was reading what my current TBR list was.  I started scouring through other blogs to see what they did.  I added some of those ideas to my own.  I read blogs about blogging and convinced myself that I needed at five posts a week if I wanted to be serious, and if I couldn't do that, well then forget it.  It only took a month or two for that idea to wear itself out.

Over the summer I was able to try different weekly posts and try to settle myself into a good groove.  I'll be honest, it took me until almost November to feel that I had a grip on this whole blogging thing.  A loose grip, but a grip nonetheless.  

I've come to a place where I feel like I have a pretty good rhythm and schedule that works for me.  I'm also somewhat comfortable with the fact that I'm busy outside of blogging and there are times that I will be too busy to post anything--although it makes me anxious when I have nothing going out all week.  I will be okay with it and will come back to it soon--when things calm down a bit.


~What I've Learned~
1) How to do some basic html.  I mean that in the loosest of terms and basically that I can google the html and copy/paste it into my blog and then mess with it until I get it to do what I want.
2) How to use twitter.  I had never tweeted before this.  I had avoided it, in fact.  Now I love it!  Welcome to the year 2006, Meghan.  You're a bit late, but welcome all the same. 
3) That there's always going to more that I could do, if I had more time.  Even if I magically got that time handed to me, I would then find something more to try and fit in.
4) I like writing.  I missed writing.  If this is the only way I can fit writing into my life, then so be it.  I'll write for my blog.

Check back tomorrow to find out what my plans are for my 2nd year of blogging!


No comments:

Post a Comment