Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My Top 18 Book Covers

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover.  I get it.  Let's get real here, though and admit that book covers mean a lot.  It doesn't mean I won't read it if I'm not loving the cover, but it's a way to get me drawn in.

Here are some books whose covers made me want them.  Some of them I haven't even read, but the cover was the first thing I saw that made me want it.  I tried to narrow it down, but couldn't bring myself to cut any of them out.

In no particular order:


I was introduced to The Golden Compass in my Children's Lit class in college.  I fell in love with this cover.  NOT the movie version cover.

Haven't read Serafina and the Black Cloak yet, but I absolutely love this cover with her climbing up a tree limb and the house in the background.



One Came Home is a somber read and I loved the way the birds (a major part of the novel) are at the center of this cover. Review here.

It's been too long since I read A Northern Light, but I think this cover is so pretty.


When I was in high school, my aunt brought White Oleander with her while she stayed at our house for a week during her annual visit.  I saw the cover and decided I would read it.

All the Light We Cannot See is not only beautifully written, it has a beautiful cover to accompany it.  Gorgeous! Review here.


The Lunar Chronicles have absolutely STUNNING covers.  Cinder is probably the best, but Cress is a close second.  As for the best book, I vote Cress, then comes Cinder and I wasn't much of a fan of Scarlet at all.  Review of Cinder here.  Review of Scarlet here.



I saw the cover for Shadow and Bone and it went directly into my TBR.  I haven't read it just yet, but it's coming up for me.  Love this cover!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is so eerie that you can't help but be intrigued by it.


This version of A Great and Terrible Beauty has stuck in my mind for the past ten years.  Absolutely love it. Review here.

If you put a picture of a ballerina on a cover, there is a good chance I'll buy it.  Not certain, because I haven't purchased The Art of Forgetting yet, but that's why I stopped to look at it.  




Navigating Early is sweet and sad and this cover of two boys rowing down a river into the mist is beautiful.  

I love the simple cover of Our Endless Numbered Days.  It'll be read soon, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

How creepy is A Curious Tale of the In-Between?  Creepy, yet beautiful.  Dark.  Just like the story itself.  Review here.


 Can I even express how much I LOVE The Wrath and the Dawn cover?  I read it on my nook and am upset that I did that because I don't have a hard copy.  As soon as my book buying ban is up, I'll be buying one!  Review here.

I picked up An Ember in the Ashes because of the coer.  The glowing letters against the dark cliff and the swirling dust or ash or whatever it is at the bottom.  Hmmmm.  Best purchase based purely on the cover this year.  Review here.

So what do you think?  Did I miss anything important?  What are some covers you have been blown away by?

If you liked this post, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, and please "like" this review below!

2 comments:

  1. I like this cover of Golden Compass. I saw a bind up of His Dark Materials with a wolf on the cover, really love it. I really like covers of Bone Season by Samantha Shannon and Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. And the covers for Brandon Sandersons books are pretty amazing, I mean those white ones. I think they are UK editions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh! The Brandon Sanderson books with the "whispy" cover art? I just looked it up and they're pretty!

      Delete