Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Best and Worst: Literary Couples

In honor of Valentine's Day, here are my best and worst couples in Literature.  You may hate me after reading the worsts!  Sorry...kind
of.



~Best~

Cress and Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles.  I loved these two!  It might be partly because Thorne reminds me of Captain Malcom Reynolds in Firefly, played by Nathan Fillion.  Sigh!  I fell  in love with their dynamic.

Lizzie and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.  Cue the witty banter.  Mr. Darcy is infuriating.  Truly he is and you just want to kick him sometimes and spend half the time wishing that Lizzie would do the same.  But then he loves her.  Oh... And he goes after Wickham without wanting her to know.  He convinces Mr. Bingly to come back (we'll ignore that the reason he left in the first place) and see Jane.  I love these two.

Anne and Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables series.  From the day he called her "carrots" and tugged on her braid and she broke her slate over his head.  They were meant for one another.  I know it took her awhile to get it through her silly head that she loved him, but I knew.  We all knew.

Day and June from the Legend series.  They start out as enemies, one working for the Republic, the other working against it, but it doesn't take long to realize that these two will overcome great odds.  I loved their story and I loved the ending and the hope that the Legend series brought along with it.  I may need to read this again soon.

Eleanor and Park from Eleanor & Park.  They seem to be odd together.  They really do.  And they even look at each other with annoyance when they first meet, but they become a strong pair.  They make sense.

Jo and Eddie from These Shallow Graves.  She's a socialite and should be interested in snagging a proposal from the most eligible bachelor, but instead she's running around with a journalist, trying to solve a murder.  He doesn't leave anything out when he tells her what needs to be said and she takes it.

Shahrzad and Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn.  Oh my word.  Bestill my heart.  I can't even speak more about these two because if you haven't read this yet, I will give big things away.  But I MUST have the next book.  Now please.  Now.  My heart needs it.


~Worst~

Bella and Edward from the Twilight books.  And no, this doesn't mean that she should have gotten together with Jacob--although that's a better option and would have taken care of the weird imprinting thing in the last book.  My main problem with these two is that they're whiny together.  Bella is always "Oh poor me.  I can't make it through a day without my Edward.  He's left me. Someone take care of me?  Jacob will do--for now."  And Edward is so distraught over whether or not she should love him.  He thinks that he can make that decision for her.  He wants to make every decision for her.  Uggg.  My eyes are rolling up into my head just thinking about these two!

Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games trilogy.  (Yep, I hear rioting now.) Here's a little secret about me and The Hunger Games: I can't stand Katniss.  I really really dislike her and the only reason I ever cared about her was because she was the only one who could take care of Peeta.  Until Mockingjay.  Then he doesn't need her, which makes her unnecessary in my eyes.  So them actually together as a couple--whether faking it or not--just killed me.  Let Peeta find a nice girl who actually thinks before making rash decisions once in awhile.  I know, you're bringing up Prim and Rue and all the nice things that Katniss does.  I don't care.  I don't like her.  My biggest problem with the movies: I really like Jennifer Lawrence and it made me kind of like her character more than I wanted to.




Tris and Four from the Divergent series.  Again, another girl who is making stupid and selfish decisions that she thinks will save everyone, but obviously won't.  And then add in the fourth book where we were suddenly hearing from Four's point of view only it was really hard to distinguish the difference between the two voices.  Ruined them.  They would have been okay with me, until that point.



What literary couples do you love or hate?  Or love to hate?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it's hard for me to think of any I hate! Actually, while I don't hate them, I don't think Ron and Hermione should be together.
    Peeta and Katniss and Gale...I don't know. They both seem like good guys! I can't comprehend having two wonderfully different men in love with a character. It's too many possibilities and I get overwhelmed and I can't make any sense of the situation. I think this is a problem that just stems from another problem; love triangles! The Epitome of unrealistic. And somewhat strange.
    A pairing I love-well, there are lots of them. One of my absolute favorites though, is Rosalind and Benvolio. From 'Still Star-Crossed', by Melinda Taub. I want a romance like theirs'! The book is excellent as well and one I totally recommend. This was a fun list; now I want to read some of these books to see the characters in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized after I posted that what I really seem to dislike in the "worst" couples are the ways the females are portrayed. Then I don't like the whole relationship either. :)

      I haven't read STILL STAR-CROSSED yet. Is it super romantic? I'm not a huge fan of the romance genre, but if there is more to the story, then I'll give it a go. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete