Sunday, February 14, 2016

#SundayStatus: Valentine's Day, I'd Know You Anywhere and The Thing About Jellyfish



Sunday Status is a weekly (ish) post where I let you know what I'm reading and what I'm thinking about it as I go along.


Happy Valentine's Day! I hope you're enjoying the day with your loved ones, whomever that may include. So far, mine has included breakfast with my daughter and husband, snow day fun, and watching Inside Out.  I'm looking forward to some really good pulled pork from the crockpot this evening and watching The Walking Dead, if I can convince my husband to stay up later since we both don't need to get up for work tomorrow.

This week I'm still reading the same books.  I feel like I've not done much reading for the past two weeks, and had hoped to have this one finished.

~At Home~

I'd Know You Anywhere
Laura Lippman
William Morrow, 2010
Source: borrowed

I may not finish this one.  First, there are so many "Parts."  I think I'm on Part VI and some of the sections have only been like 20-30 pages and I'm seeing a clear divide between them.  They already have chapters within each part, so why do you need them?

The first part was pretty long and it switched between present day Eliza's life and point of view, 1985 Eliza (known as Elizabeth back then), and 1985 Walter Bowman (her kidnapper during the year of 1985).  I only really enjoyed the flashbacks to 1985.  I had trouble staying within the reality of the present day because Eliza's voice kept being overtaken by hints of her kids or husband seeping in.  Maybe that's purposeful?  I don't know, but I don't really like it.

Now in whatever Part I'm on currently they've added more perspectives and cut out most of the past.  So far we have four more characters whose voices were not present in the first part, and some of whom were barely even mentioned until suddenly you're hearing form their point of view half way through the novel.

I may not finish.  It'll have been two weeks at this point.  If I don't finish tonight, I'm going to have to move on.


~Listening To ~

The Thing About Jellyfish

Ali Benjamin
Read by Sarah Franco
Little Brown Young Readers, 2015
Source: purchased

I'm still listening to The Thing About Jellyfish.  My goal had been to listen while I walked...well since it's been cold and not warm (typical for this time of year) I haven't listened at all until today while I was cleaning the bathroom.  I'm hoping to find some more significant time to devote to listening soon.

If you enjoyed this post, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, and please "like" this below!


No comments:

Post a Comment