Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Letter to My High School Self--Read Better and Read More

Dear High School Meghan,

How are you doing?  This is your future, 34-year-old self writing to you today.  34 sounds pretty old, I know, but it's not too bad--I promise.  I have some very important advice you need to hear about reading.

I know you already read a lot and you always have a book with you; however we need to discuss the books you are reading.  You enjoy them, yes, and that's good.  But you need to broaden your horizons.  Let me guess, you're reading another romance.  Don't get me wrong--romance isn't bad, but you need to try something else.  Like maybe some classics?  Please.  You're missing out on so many amazing books and when you get to be my age you'll be trying desperately to fit all those books into the limited amount of reading time you can eke out in your day.  You'll be torn between reading books you should have read when you were younger and books that are newly published and calling your name.

Here are a few ideas if you feel unsure about where to begin.  Some of these I read as an adult and it made me sad that I had missed out on them when I was younger.  Others I have never actually read and still want to--desperately.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle 

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson  (this would have been even better if you read as a kid instead of a twenty-something)

Charlie and the Chocolate by Roald Dahl

The Giver by Lois Lowry (please read this now)

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (please don't wait until you're out of high school to read this for the first time)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (you will fall in love with dystopian literature)


These are just some suggestions.  Start looking for some quality literature.  Ask your teachers.  And find more time to read. You will be so upset with yourself later on in life because you'll be squeezing your reading time in between your life.  It's a busy life, but a great life and you'll wish you had spent more time reading and less time watching Real World marathons.  Just saying.

Your Future Self.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a fun post! I definitely agree that some books have more impact if they are read at a younger age. I just recently read The Giver and I cannot believe how incredible it is for a middle grade novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love The Giver and I didn't read it until I was in college or later. I already have a whole list of books and series that I'm reading with my daughter. It's going to be difficult to remember to give her choice when I just want her to read all the good stuff! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete