Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Top Reads This Year -- 2015

As 2015 draws to an end I'm looking back at my year of reading. I have not made my goal of 60 books, (as I'm writing this I have 57--I believe 58 will happen by the time it published, alas!  Not 60). I did come very close and also found some really great books this year.

Without further ado, my top ten eleven books of 2015--in no particular order (in the end I couldn't cut one of these out).

1. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
I devoured this book and can't wait until the next one comes out!  It was amazing.

2. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mendel
I'm not sure what I had been expecting when I sat down to read this, but I was amazed.  It was really beautifully written, terrifying, and wonderful at the same time.  Great choice in a dystopian book.


I was blown away by this one.  It was just a random buy at Target one day.  It completely sucked me in and had me worried about characters and rooting for them within pages.  


4. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Just beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.  I listened to this one, but I'm planning on reading it over the summer so I can experience it again holding the book in my hand.



5. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Not only is this hilarious, but I really loved some of the "advice" she has.  I'm looking forward to reading Why Not Me? soon.



6. The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins
You'll be drawn into Rachel's world as she travels every day into the city and watches for that one house, that one window, that one couple.  She's created a life for that couple, but when it's discovered the wife is missing, Rachel starts to piece together the puzzle.



7. Cress by Marissa Meyer
This may or may not be my favorite in the series.  Please note that Winter also made the list below.  I just can't tell yet.  I do know that she is my favorite.  (No review of this one.  When I read it I was in the midst of a class that took up all of my time and I never was able to review it.)


A really quite wonderful and magical story about the power of believing in magic.  If you like Harry Potter, you'll probably be drawn to the Harry Potter-esque feel it has.


9. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
Victorian.  Murder.  Mystery.  Romance.  This was really great!  And what I loved the most was that although the romance was somewhat central to the plot, it wasn't the most important by any means.  It was just an element.  What was important was the mystery and our main character Jo was awesome!


10. Winter by Marissa Meyer
I tore through this book.  It arrived at school (I had it delivered there so I could begin reading it ASAP) and then I carried it around me whenever I left my room that day.  To make copies, to speak with my vice principal about an issue, to show off to my colleagues at lunch.  It was a bit much, but totally worth it!





11. A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano
I fell in love with this book.  It's creepy and dark and yet not at all scary.  It's just what a middle grade novel should be.  

This one was a late one and I squeezed it onto my list just in time!  It was really beautiful and I enjoyed the strong female character and the magic and the themes of friendship.


If you liked this list, consider following me on Facebook, Twitter, or Google Plus, and please "like" this below!


No comments:

Post a Comment