Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A-Z Reading List: A-M

The A-Z Reading list is an alphabetical list of books, characters, events, places, etc that all relate to books.  Each letter gets a listing.

This was difficult.  This first half of the alphabet was much easier than the second half, though.  Some needed multiple entries because I couldn't choose.  So be it.


A--Anne Shirley: I'm so happy I could start out with her.  Anne has been my mentor character since I was a little girl--even before I know it.  I love her imagination and her love of words.  She's so dramatic and so adamant in her current ideas, but as she grows, she learns.  She's flawed, but willing to learn and to try to be better.  If you've never met Anne, try reading Anne of Green Gables.  You won't regret it!
Check out my character spotlights on Anne and Gilbert.

**I also NEEDED to say Are You There God?  It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume was a life changer for me.  I read that multiple times growing up.  

B-- I could just say "books" and make this easy, but I feel like that might be cheating.  So instead I will say Ali Benjamin, the author of The Thing About Jellyfish. I fell in love with this book and its beautiful characters. 
Here's my review of The Thing About Jellyfish.

C-- Cress: One of my favorite characters in the Lunar Chronicles was Cress.  
Check out my other Lunar Chronicle reviews:
Cinder
Fairest

Winter
Winter spotlight

D--  The Dark Days Club:  I can't wait until the sequel comes out!  Just a few more days and I can dive in!
The Dark Days Club review

E-- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir  and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell.  I know this is two different books, but I couldn't choose one.  An Ember in the Ashes is the first book in the series about Laia and Elias and their fight against the Empire and I loved it!  
My reviews for An Ember in the Ashes and Eleanor & Park.

F-- I read mostly fiction.  Sometimes I feel guilty about this, but then I read a non-fiction book and I struggle through it.  I'm not going to feel guilty about it.  I'm going to enjoy my reading.  I prefer fiction.

G-- Goodreads:  I have no idea how long I've been using Goodreads.  I know there is a date of when I joined, but I didn't use it very much.  Then a few years ago I committed.  I love using it for organizing my books and planning out upcoming reads.

*And can I also add Gilbert Blythe?  I can't resist!  I used to imagine that Gilbert Blythe showed up at my door and asked if I wanted to go for a walk.  On a regular basis.  Oh Gilbert.  
Check out my character spotlights on Anne and Gilbert.

H-- Harry Potter:  One of my favorite series.  Will probably always be up there.  I absolutely love the way the stories grow with Harry.  They start out simpler, without too many scary moments.  But as Harry grows up, he can deal with more and so can the reader.  Oh to have been a kid growing up with the HP books!  I was in high school when they started becoming popular, so my formative years had passed.  But I have fond memories of them all!

I-- I'm struggling here so I'm going to the internet.  Mostly because if we didn't have the internet it would be difficult to have a blog and share my love of reading.  I also wouldn't be able to speak to others about blogging and reading and writing. (That was lame--I know.)

J--Jedi Academy books by Jeffrey Brown are some of the best middle grade graphic novels out there.  Now, I am a bit biased as I love Star Wars, but I have students who have read it and enjoyed it but weren't super into Star Wars.  The ones who were, loved it!  
Here are the reviews for Return of the Padawan and The Phantom Bully.

K-- King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard.  I cannot wait for this to arrive on my doorstep in just a few weeks! I've been anxiously awaiting the next part of the story and busy re-reading the first two!!
Here are the reviews for Red Queen and Glass Sword.

L-- Legend by Marie Lu:  Probably the best trilogy I've read.  The arc of the story throughout all three books is amazing.  You don't get lost in the third book and go on some wild and confusing ride.  It brings everything to where it should, but it's still not predictable.  It's just....right.

M--Middle Grade Books--I used to gravitate more towards YA, but as of late I've been finding myself reading more and more middle grade books.  Or maybe it's just that I've discovered this as a genre instead of lumping them in with the YA?  

Check back in tomorrow for the 2nd half of my alphabetical list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment