Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sunday Quote: Station Eleven

Sunday Quote is a look at my current read.  I share one line from the page I'm currently reading and what I'm thinking about the book so far.

Book:  Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Publisher: Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, 2014
Source: bought on Nook app

"She is actually beautiful, but it's a subtle kind of beauty that takes some time to make itself apparent (80)."

Station Eleven places us at the very beginning of a flu epidemic with Jeeven who jumps on stage during a performance trying to save an actor who has collapse.  Then it jumps 15 years later, when everything has collapsed and we're following Kirsten, who remembers very little from her life, except that she was eight when things went crazy.  In the section I am at now, we've jumped back to well before the epidemic and are following the life of an actor who Kirsten remembers working with as a child (the one Jeevan jumped on stage to save).

So far, although the characters are loosely connected, they don't seem to have a important connections.  In fact, I'm wondering if we'll hear from Jeevan again, or Kirsten.  I'm wondering if things will be filled in at all, or if all these people are just ships passing in the night.  I'm only 80 pages in and I believe I won't be disappointed, even if there aren't stronger connections.

So far the writing is beautiful and I've already highlighted sentences that I've gone back and read again because I love the way they sound.

Check out the link to the Goodreads page.

No comments:

Post a Comment