Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Top Ten Board Books

My daughter will be two in a week and a half.  I can't believe that it's already time to celebrate her birthday.  So today I'll be counting down some of our favorite board books.  I've only included the board books that we own and that she asks to be read to her again and again.  There are others that I really like as well, but my daughter isn't as interested in those.

In no particular order:


1) Hello Ninja by ND Wilson  Illustrated by Forest Dickinson

This is a cute story about a ninja going to bed.  I enjoy reading it to my daughter in different voices and she likes to laugh at those voices.


2 and 3) Belly Button Book and Barnyard Stomp by Sandra Boynton

We love some Sandra Boynton here.  These are two of our favorites.  I'm not quite as much of a fan of the Belly Button Book, but my daughter laughs and points to her "bee-bo" when we read it.  I do like Barnyard Dance because it's great for learning animals and different movements like stomp and turn and slide.



4) Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney   Illustrated by Anita Jeram

This is such a sweet little book.  It's also a classic that I'm sure many people know of.  My daughter likes the bunnies.


5) Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig and Marc Brown

Lots of moving here!  The different animals have different movements and sounds from their moves.  I read each animal in a different voice as well, trying to imitate what I think it would sound like with my voice.  My daughter loves it!


 6) Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae and Guy Parker-Rees

This is the first book I read my daughter where she actually reacted to it.  We were reading to her from day one, but this is the first book where she started to smile at the pictures.  Plus, I loved this story of a giraffe who is tall and awkward and thinks he can't dance until he finds out that he just needs to find his own music.


7) That's Not My Monkey...by Fiona Watt and Rachel Wells

My daughter loves interacting with this book.  Although at this point, I think she's a bit board with this book, you can tell by the binding that it was a favorite for quite awhile.


 8) Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle and Jill McElmurry

Not only are there lots of sounds for little ones to emulate and help while reading, there is a great a story about being kind and helping others.


 9) Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler

A great story for any time of the year.  A witch and the friends she picks up on her night who help out when she needs it most.

10) Five Little Monkeys Jumpin on the Bed by Eileen Christelow

My daughter likes to tell the monkeys "No jump bed! It's fun and cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment