Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sunday Status: This is What Happy Looks Like

Sunday Status is a look at my current read.  I share one line from the page I'm currently reading an what I'm thinking about the book so far.

Book:  This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company, 2013
Source: borrowed from school library

"But now--now it was the lack of recognition that made his heart thump in his chest, that small thrill of anonymity, which had become such a rare thing these days (67)."

Last fall, I picked up Jennifer E. Smith's The Geography of You and Me.  It was a sweet YA romance.  It reminded me of the giddiness I used to feel when I would read these in middle school.  I enjoyed it.  I decided to give This is What Happy Looks Like a try.  So far, it has a very similar vibe to it.  So much so, that I'm really hoping things change so that I'm not essentially reading the same story, but with different characters and a different setting.  It's early on in the story.  There's hope.

So far Ellie and Graham have accidentally met via a stray email and have continued to email one another from across the country for three months.  They do not know one another's names, just their emails (this really makes me anxious, by the way--shouldn't she be terrified that he's a creepy old man? And just because he says he isn't, doesn't mean that it's true!!). Well Graham, who is actually a famous teen actor has figured out where she lives and gotten his newest movie located to her town.  So now he's in her town and has asked her friend out, thinking it's Ellie, and Ellie is helping her friend get ready for the date because she has no idea Graham is her secret online pen pal.

I have no doubt that This is What Happy Looks Like will be another sweet romance, but can it be more?  Will Jennifer E. Smith pull me and keep me interested?  I sure hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment